Monday, March 1, 2010

IS IT A DUPE?

Are you always looking for an alternative to various brands, possibly a cheaper brand to make up for that other expensive item?

There are so many cosmetics brands that dupes are bound to be found across the various brands whether high end or low end.  As I continue to blog, I hope to bring a variety of brands to the blog and hopefully help out in finding cheaper alternatives to higher end brands or discontinued items.

DUPEABLE?

 Cover Girl Shimmering Onyx vs. MAC Black Tied

Cover Girl Shimmering Onyx - $3-4
(black with silver/blue sparkle)

 MAC Black Tied Eyeshadow -$14.50
(black with silver sparkle)
Are they close enough to be dupes of each other?  See the swatches below and compare?
(Left: Shimmering Onyx; Right: Black Tied)
no flash

(Left: Shimmering Onyx; Right: Black Tied)
with flash


Having both colors in my makeup kit, I do find that I actually use both colors instead of one or the other more.  I also find that both colors are fairly close as both are black eyeshadows and in the same dark shade.  Both shadows have sparkles, with MAC Black Tied with more silver sparkles and Cover Girl Shimmering Onyx with more silver blueish sparkles.  Though they may have a slight difference in sparkle, I find that it does not matter once applied to the eye lid and blended with other colors.  The eyeshadows do have similar textures and applies fairly well, but like most, MAC is tended to be a little bit more pigmented than the Cover Girl one.

Overall as a dupe, I would highly recommend the Cover Girl Shimmering Onyx to the MAC Black Tied as they are both very similar.  For a cheaper alternative, the Cover Girl shadow does the job just as good as the MAC one and saves you more money for your pocket at about $4 each compared to MAC's $14.50.  Whether you get MAC or CG shadow, they are closely dupable, you may not need both.

CoverGirl Shimmering Onyx can be found at most Drugstores: Walgreens, CVS, Walmart
MAC Black Tied can be found online:  maccosmetics.com

Any other color suggestions feel free to let me know!

simplybeautiful

(Products purchased by myself.  I have no affiliation with said companies)
(photo credits: CoverGirl.com, maccosmetics.com)

11 comments:

Angelique said...

Good comparison :].. I don't have Black Tied so I'll be sure to check out grabbing the Cover Girl one. It is definitely cheaper!

Tina-Bobeena said...

awesome dupe!!! please do more!!! hehehe!

Swtest2Lips said...

Awesome post! With a good base, Im sure itll be identical!

NicRTV (陳亞任) said...

thanks for this..gonna check the covergirl e/s..I love dupes

serenadeveryday said...

$4 compared to $14.50... what a deal. I've been on the lookout for a black shadow. I will have to check out this cover girl one.

Laura L said...

wow.... great deal!

Anonymous said...

Great Post! I definitly think drugstore brands are underestimated

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing! I've been eyeing Black Tied...now I know the more affordable and accessible dupe! =)

syila slakers said...

I love dupes that are comparable to the high end products. Although they are cheaper alternatives, they are of great quality too. Hope to see more dupes.

Shop N' Chomp said...

I love posts on dupes! Thanks, Mary =D

Unknown said...

thankz for the info... it's really useful especially in this recession.
check my blog:
http://paznluv.blogspot.com